POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Japanese room - sorta final : Re: Japanese room - sorta final Server Time
19 Aug 2024 18:29:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Japanese room - sorta final
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 27 Oct 2000 03:01:33
Message: <39F92956.4D7B17BF@unforgettable.com>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

> 42 hours for without aa ? What's taking that long apart from the tree ?

The tree was having some bounding problems, and manual bounding didn't
seem to having any effect (literally, there was no change). So the
middle third of the picture was really slow.

The table directly underneath it was even worse, because (I think) of
the reflection blur.

> Btw, it looks very dark on my screen.

I was going for something like realistic lighting, and with all three of
the lights on (you can't see them because they're overhead, but there's
three of them), making the lighting any brighter washed out the color of
the wooden walls. I suppose I could have increased the light intensity
to simulate pupil dilation (or longer exposure, whatever), but you know,
even with those measures, a real-life dimly-lit room still looks dimly-lit.

I wonder what "photographic" post-processing, as was discussed on here
some weeks back, would do to the image.

Try looking at it on a black background, and with the lights turned down
to match the illumination in the picture.. the difference is really dramatic.

-Xplo